Sunday 4 March 2012

And now for something completely different . . .

This is a political blog, but we all need something to make us smile sometimes right?  This makes me smile, and some of you that I hope are reading may remember hearing it when I first wrote it, which also makes me smile.  Although, it is a little heteronormative - perhaps I should write a sequel where Tony plays with gender and becomes a dragon queen?  Hahaha, see what I did there?  I don't know about you, but I'm smiling already . . .


THE KNIGHT, THE PRINCESS AND THE DRAGON

 Some years ago, in days of yore

There lived the princess, Leonore

In her castle, remote and lonely

She dreamed of finding her one and only.

Yet not just any man would do

His heart must be bold, full of valour, and true

He must prove his love to the lady he sought

Only then would she give her heart, Leonore thought.



One day, a handsome knight came to call

But canny Leonore would not yet fall

in love; this knight must be put to the test

So she thought of a suitably difficult quest.

“Brave knight,” she said, “around my fair throat

hangs half of a heart; its twin lies in the moat

of the Castle of Darkness, in the forest of sorrow

guarded by a dragon; bring it back tomorrow.

Because I want my heart unbroken

Please accept my request, and bring back this token.”



The handsome knight (christened Geriwain)

Set out that night, in fierce wind and hard rain

His eye was clear, his heart noble and pure

He would bring back the trinket, and win Leonore.



In the forest of sorrow, he encountered a beast

It cackled: “Young knight, on your flesh I shall feast

The bones scattered all over this lonely track

Came from knights such as you; they’re my favourite snack.”

Said Geriwain, “You’re fearsome, that much is true

Yet I have slain scarier beasts than you

For Leonore, I will be happily tested

And sir, I’m a knight who’s not easily bested.”



The beast roared with anger, attacked Geriwain

Who thought of his princess and ignored the pain

From inside his jacket he drew a long spear

And slayed the beast calmly, without fuss or fear.



 Onward, then, strode Geriwain

Toward the castle, toward his aim

Passing by the Devil’s Lake

He came upon a deadly snake

Who put to him this fiendish riddle,

“What’s in violin, and also in fiddle?

It’s in middle of the moon

And it cometh twice at noon

The answer means a crazy guy

Or type of bird with piercing cry

Answer, fool, and think of this

That I can do much more than hiss.”

The knight, sensibly, did not panic

Although his pacing grew quite manic

And just when he felt to fearfully swoon

The answer came; he cried, “A loon!”

The snake, denied his tasty prey

Drew back, but in a sulky way.



Next flew down a winged boar

Who said, “The liar, Leonore,

Consorts this night with Galahad

Your quest is all in vain, my lad

Better that you turn back now

Than risk your life for such a cow.”

Said Geriwain, “I know you lie

Your slanderous lips offend my eye

Shapeshifter, be gone from here!”

- and slayed him with his trusty spear.

(From the corpse rose axeman, hag and ghost

The shapes the glamour used the most.)



Weary, the knight spied dawn’s first light 

The Castle of Darkness was in sight

The trees first thinned, then disappeared

And there was what he had most feared

A mighty dragon, fast asleep

Breathing fire before castle and keep.

The beast sensed his presence and opened its eyes

Geriwain blinked, feeling great surprise

The poor thing wasn’t fearsome; why, it looked sad!

And a cunning plan made the knight’s heart glad.



 He said, “Dragon, I am your friend

Your lonely life is at an end

Come live with me and my lady fair

For three are much better than a pair.”

The dragon seemed to understand

He bowed his head and licked Geriwain’s hand

While the knight dived the moat, the dragon stood guard

Till Geriwain surfaced with half a gold heart.



Then man and beast flew home together

To be with Leonore forever

“Knight, you have made my heart whole,

So now I give you my heart and soul

I am yours for ever more!”

So said the beauty, Leonore.



They kissed in raptures of delight

And were married at day’s first light

And of their life that was just the start

And the knight, Geriwain, never did break her heart

And the dragon, whose name was Tony

Never again felt sad or lonely

And he was their loyal friend and guard

And his jokes cheered them up when times got hard.



Knight, princess and dragon together grew older

But the love in their hearts never dimmed or got colder

And though she got fatter, and he got dafter

You guessed: they lived happily ever after.
















No comments:

Post a Comment