Sunday 23 December 2012

A quite depressing poem about poverty and austerity and the ConDems and shit with a bit of mental illness thrown in

The country's in pieces, and so is my mind
or maybe I'm just a particular kind
You'll have heard of my sort in the Sun and the Mail
An apparently simple morality tale
Of "parasite lifestyles faking depression"
So ok, here it is, signed and sealed, my confession.

Yet I ask, if you think you know all of our ways
Have you ever made ten pounds last for ten days?
Have you blinked back tears so the children don't see
And wondered just what you can buy with ten pee?
Have you ever dreaded the knock on the door
Demanding a payment due six months before?

Do you think I would choose to feel scared all my days?
Now it no longer matters what my doctor says
To have hostile strangers poke inside my head
And say yes she's mental, but quite far from dead
Perfectly able to work for no pay;
She better, or we'll take her money away.

I quite often think I'm not crazy at all
It's the natural frustration of that thousandth call
The thousandth dismissal, the thousandth same lie
It'll be in on Tuesday; and oh yeah, pigs fly
The natural anger that though we are poor
When all else is gone they will still take some more.

I am a person, just like any other
We're all someone's daughter, a friend, someone's mother
We live and we love and we try to survive
And I'm sick of the system that eats us alive
But what makes me burn is the lies and the slander
Please look past the labels, the cruel propaganda

To see the truth of the ConDem lie
And then just maybe you'll ask just why
Why punish the poor and the sick and the lame
As if we're just pawns in a rich boy's game
The truth is ugly, but still beats a lie
Don't blame the victims; hear our cry.

Don't give in to the impulse to turn on each other
We stand shoulder to shoulder and sister to brother
If the love in our hearts dies, that's when they have won.
But that day's not here for me, my fight's not done.
I won't call people scroungers, or workshy or skivers
I call them my people; I call us survivors.




No comments:

Post a Comment