Monday 24 December 2012

On a poem roll - this one's on bodies and the meaning of beauty

In a world where it seems all the girls want to be thin
I was once the exception, so comfortable in my skin
And I had a LOT of boyfriends; quite the harlot in my day
"She's no better than she should be," a lot I knew would say.
But I was young and flirty and the boys all looked so good
And I really didn't give a **** for other people's "should"
Should be thinner, be less slutty, less confident, less free
Less inclined to boast, "He loved all fourteen stone of me."

Then I met the man who said, "I want that spare tyre gone"
That's when I started seeing flaws where once I had seen none
I asked him if he felt bad that he'd made me so unsure
So suddenly self conscious, so ashamed and insecure
He said losing weight was for me too, I could be proud of that
I said I always thought I looked good, till you told me I was fat.

Now I'm trying to remember how to love my curves again,
Remember how the beauty I see shining from my friends
Radiates from inside them and how sad it is to me
That they see flaws and cellulite; they can't see what I see
I'm trying to remember and reclaim that for myself
That the beauty that's inside me still shines through to someone else.

Please think twice before you're bitchy; don't jump to criticise
Consider that that person may be happy with their size
Would you want to be the one to plant the seed of shame
To start the toxic cycle of self loathing and self blame
That instead of teaching young girls how to be proud and walk tall
Says if you don't look a certain way, you're worth nothing at all.

Can we really not see that there's something so wrong
With a culture that can't compute different AND strong
That can't stand to see those that don't fit have self worth
And makes damn sure they tumble right back down to earth
That assassinates character based on a body
That says fat equals lazy, defective and shoddy

So I say to you all, boy or girl, fat or thin
The cliche is true: beauty comes from within
It comes from your strength and your heart and your mind
It comes from being loving; it comes from being kind
In a supermodel world where body shape is bought and sold
And if you've got the money, well, you need never get old
Let's unite: fat or thin, black or white, tutti or frutti
Gay or straight, trans or 'other': we are all FULL OF BEAUTY

No comments:

Post a Comment